Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Update on Salem!!

Thank you so much for everyone who prayed for our trip to Salem!! It was legitimately one of the best experiences in my life and the name of Jesus was lifted high!

We left Saturday morning and 26 of us loaded into 5 cars for the 7 hour trek to Salem, Massachusetts. We self-named our van the Daughters of Jerusalem...with father Bo driving. So quick thank you to Bo for allowing 6 girls to ride with you!

We arrived around 6:30p and went straight to the House of Prayer at East Gate Christian Fellowship, which right now is located next door to the Halloween Festival...prime location! We worshiped and interceded for the city until about 10p before heading to different pastor's houses to stay the night. Sunday was a pretty full day packed with church, much more worship and prayer, prayer walking and getting a sense for what we were stepping into, and soaking in the presence of God before we hit the streets from 6-10 that night (which is when most people are out at the festival).

Salem is a quaint little town and so on the verge of breakthrough. There is a heaviness in the air and a spirit of witchcraft that looms over the area. Witches and warlocks roamed the streets, stores glorifying darkness were everywhere, psychics and tarot card readers were kept busy with people looking for answers, and tourists packed the festival not knowing what they were opening themselves up to. Salem actually means peace; so we prayed that Salem would become the City of Peace; and as the eastern most city, it would become the Eastern Gate to usher in the Gospel of Christ. I pray blessings on those God-fearing believers who are living in Salem and are continually crying out for their city and I pray that God would completely wipe out the darkness in the area and every knee in Salem would bow at the name of Jesus.

Anticipation filled as the hours of intercession went on and I was overflowing with excitement and nervousness and love for God and I was just ready to go see what God was going to do. We split into 4 teams for the first 3 hours and then came together for the last hour and literally took over the streets with heaven! We held up signs that said "Free Spiritual Healing" and "Free Spiritual Readings" (aka prophecies). Other psychics and tarot card readers had the same signs...so why not!? Initially it's a bit nerve-wracking to try and get people to come talk to you especially when they look at you like you're crazy...but I kept wanting to say 'I mean, you're at a witch festival....so how is this weird?'...but I refrained and then we just went for it only with boldness that came from God. My group was praying for healing and so we started shouting for anyone who had pain or sickness in their bodies. It was a slow start but then the Lord started bringing people in.

Overall we saw over 100 healings and shared the Gospel with around 200 people Sunday night!! God is so great and so much bigger than we give Him credit for. Firsthand I saw 3 people get healed of asthma (one being a fellow YWAMer!), multiple people get healed of back pain, 1 person with diabetes was healed. 1 guy had a cast on and told us he had a tendon that was cut in his hand. We prayed for him and he started moving his finger and said he couldn't move it before!! We saw arches grow in flat feet (which is something we've been seeing happen over the last month around PA!), pain in legs, shoulders, and ankles were immediately gone, among a plethora of others things...all in the name of Jesus!! We told them that Jesus healed them and then got to share the gospel with them. A lot of people knew about Jesus but couldn't believe that He could and would heal them!

Some of my teammates have some radical stories of healings and prophesies. Major walls came down in people's lives and one of my friends had multiple girls crying on her shoulder as she called out what the Lord wanted for their lives and ended in hugs and I love you's from the strangers on the street!! Some even giving their lives to Christ that night! One guy had gotten healed from pain and was talking to a guy on my team. He asked if God would love him even though he had a 666 and a pentagram tattooed on him...my friend answered "Well, think about this. You already had those tattooes and God just healed you...so yes He still loves you!" And the guy was like wwhhooooaaaa!!! Even some professed atheists and wiccans came up for prayer!! Haha...God is so good!!

I have so many stories I could tell you, but I don't want to take all of your time! I met so many precious sons and daughters on the street. All lost and seeking love and comfort in something. I watched shock and awe on their faces when God healed them. I watched many tear up when prophesied over and told about God's love and how He desires to know them and has a plan for them. Excitement rang through our section of the street as God did what only He can do! A bit of heaven opened over Salem that night and God encountered so many people Sunday...and I have full faith that He will continue to pursue those we came in contact with.

Side note: If you have some time, I recommend downloading the link that says Halloween from the link below. My young adult pastor from Nashville, AJ Jones, spoke on the origins of Halloween and I think everyone should know about where this holiday started and make an informed decision to celebrate it or not :) ... So click here -> Origins of Halloween.

THANK YOU again for praying!!! I am so encouraged and in awe by God's love and power and His willingness to use broken vessels to share His Kingdom with others. It was an experience of a lifetime and I look forward to maybe being a part of it again in the future. My comfort levels were stretched and my faith was expanded! Can't wait to keep sharing God's love and I encourage you to do the same. Walk up to someone on crutches and ask if you can pray for them or get a word for someone and share it. Just telling someone God sees them and has a plan for them can make a world of difference. It's just your job to be the messenger and God will do the rest! So be encouraged today and many blessings on you all!!!

J

2 comments:

  1. i. have. CHILLS.

    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He is so good and faithful!!
    Thank you for (continually) being a light in my life!!
    Blessings on your time and efforts my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess,

    I stumbled onto your blog through networked blogs on facebook. Your keywords included YWAM and Pennsylvania. Both of which perked up my ears. I am originally from Pennsylvania and I found it encouraging to read that there is a YWAM base in Harrisburg. (I knew about the one in Pittsburgh)

    Anyway, I am writing this from the YWAM Base in Perth, Australia. My husband and I are staff here and finding it really amazing.

    Just a quick note-- Keep up the good work, and enjoy the rest of outreach! Glory to the Lord!

    -Steph Bell
    www.drumsticksandpaintbrushes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete