Thursday, August 19, 2010

Let the Countdown Begin!

T minus 27 days and counting!

I cannot believe how fast time flies...I say that about everything, but really...it goes so fast! My last day of work was last Friday and now I'm in this wonderful month of rest and fun and preparation. It's a weird feeling really, this month of limbo. But what a sweet time the Lord is giving me with family and friends before I leave. Also planned for this month is a white water rafting trip and skydiving! So a little added adventure to make this month even better!

I have been so overwhelmed (in a good way) these past few weeks. Needless to say, raising support is not my favorite thing to do...in part because I have no control over what money is brought in and because it takes a certain humility to ask other people to help you, which does not come naturally to me. Even writing about it makes me a little uncomfortable. However, it gives me another opportunity to put all my trust in the Lord and be dependent on Him which truly has been such a fun process. He is a never failing God. I know without a doubt the Lord is leading me to be a part of this YWAM-DTS, so I have no doubt He will provide the funds for me to get there. The reason for feeling overwhelmed is because of how blessed I feel. To see the generosity of friends and family -and even some who don't know me all that well -join me financially and prayerfully in this mission is just awesome. I have a little ways to go, but I just want to say thank you, thank you, thank you all who believe in this mission I'm about to take off on! (and please feel free to keep giving :) and definitely keep praying!)

I'll keep this post short(er than the others), so I want to end this with some verses I found super encouraging for the day. I woke up at 3:30am this morning and couldn't fall asleep for the next hour, so I read. I found my Bible (this one The Message version), and started reading in Matthew. I haven't read much of The Message translation, but loved the way this part was so beautifully written. It comes from Matthew 5:13-16:

"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.

Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."

Humbling passage for sure. My prayer is that I will do just that, be the salt and light, to bring out the "God-flavors" and "God-colors" of the world. So be encouraged today and go forth, you salties and lighties!

No comments:

Post a Comment